Monday, November 2, 2009

Sometimes I Wish I Had a Stronger Voice

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/10/robotarmada/

I read things like this, and I become sad. Several years ago I had this exact idea. I was the project manager for the SEDS @ UCF Chapter (Students for the Exploration and Development of Space at the University of Central Florida). I was the Project Manager for 3 years before graduating and moving to Houston. I still chat with my fellow SEDS peeps, and am going to the SEDS National Conference in 2 weeks to be a speaker there. Anyway, back to the point...

One of my ideas was MAARV, the Martian Automated Ariel Reconnaissance Vehicle, basically a Martian Blimp! So what do I find today, but an article on wired.com talking about THAT very idea! Argh! As a college student, albeit one that was older than the average by a good 10 years, you never have a voice strong enough to pull significant weight. Double road blocks hindered MAARV progress for me then: Professors who were too busy to care and SEDS members who didn't jump on the idea.

Well, how do you like the idea now?
___________________________________

Addition after I originally posted this: Make no mistake, I do love the idea and I hope it actually comes to pass. I think low latitude, versatile blimps would be great scouts for Mars, cover much more terrain than a rover and could be loaded with ground penetrating radar to see what's really under the surface.

I have many other ideas, and with my book and who knows what will come of that, maybe I can spearhead those into becoming reality. :) Gotta make your own way in this world, which I am working hard to do. :)

4 comments:

Karen Cramer Shea said...

Just be glad your idea is becoming a reality, no matter how it happened.

dad2059 said...

Well, you're in august company.

Arthur C. Clarke 'invented' geo-synch satellites in 1945 and didn't see a farthing (I would've said penny, but he was British, LOL).

Good luck on your next idea!

Norman Copeland said...

Douglas, you keep going buddy, let me tell you, you've got to be in it to win it.

Douglas Mallette said...

Oh I am. :)