Monday, November 9, 2009

My Fox News Appearance Recap

Well, without a doubt this was one of the coolest trips I've ever been on. Thankfully the New York weather cooperated with my visit and it wasn't bitterly cold, nor rainy or snowy. The people at Fox News are amazingly cool, gracious and fun people.

Harris Faulkner was a great person (and she's quite tall). Our conversation was fun, fluid and engaging, and by far the best of my two interviews, but that isn't a negative against Uma Pemmeraju. Uma and I on Friday were up against the Orlando shooting breaking news and I was actually surprised that I got on at all.

There was a stark contrast between Thursday and Friday. Thursday morning was relaxed, good pace, but not hectic. Then around 2 and 2:30pm is when the word was going around about the Ft. Hood shootings. You could instantly feel the pace quicken, even though it was drawing close to the end of the day on the Strategy Room. Right about then is when I thought my Friday interview might be dropped.

Friday was crazy to begin with as the story of Ft. Hood developed, but then some jackass in Orlando has to join the fray and go on his own shooting spree. What the hell is with people? I've lost jobs before and been on hard times, but NEVER thought to kill anyone over it. Anyway, with the Strategy Room trying to take coverage of the Orlando shooting as maybe a copycat incident to the Ft. Hood shooting, I completely thought I was out of the loop for the day.

First I was to be on at 3pm for the whole hour, then 1:30pm for 30 minutes, then 1pm for the hour (first 30 min. as a military veteran talking about Ft. Hood and the second 30 min. talking about my book), then it changed again to 1:45 for 15 min., and it finally ended up being around 1:50pm for 7 minutes. lol. Crazy day. Still, they got me on, but it just wasn't right. It wasn't fluid and there were still things coming down regarding the hot news of the day. I jokingly called myself the "And Guest". We've got Orlando, Ft. Hood...and Doug. Not exactly their high priority for the day, and I understand that.

As you can see, I did record my Harris Faulkner interview and have posted it. I also tried to record my Uma Pemmeraju interview, but the file is corrupt. I basically said the same thing in both interviews, but you would have easily noticed the difference between the two...relaxed vs. rushed.

Nevertheless, this was an amazing opportunity and I hope to be able to more in the future. I just hope I can graduate from New Media (online) to good old fashioned TV. :)

4 comments:

Norman Copeland said...

I just watched the strategy room show! It was a good interview huh...

Lot's of nailing comment's for the average spoof and some new interest generated with the indication that many job's could be available that do not need serious standard's of education...


You could do better with your figure's quoting though Douglas...

I'm not being fussy, but, If you tell us thing's like how many people the petroleum business employ's and what would happen if we continued with rocket engine's you could of swung the exploration factor to iol rig worker's, if did tell us about how many people work for electricity companies you could tell us how much money they have available for investment and when, who and how much they could invest into an off world infrastructure building programme...


That's how peopl become interested buddy...

I should know, I've been hugging my teddy bear and dreaming about spaceships since I was in the cot...

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Douglas Mallette said...

It's pretty much impossible to go into every detail and touch every detail in just 12 minutes. My figures are good enough to wet their whistle and hopefully have them get the book. The details are in there.

Remember, this interview wasn't pre-planned, it was off the cuff random conversation. That's just how it flowed.

Musings of the Universe said...

Good TV interview. You are an awesome speaker. Keep it up! This is Shen by the way.

Douglas Mallette said...

Hey Shen. Thanks!