Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Public Advertising for Space Tourism - A Question Posed to Me

A follower of this blog (Norman Copeland) posted a good question to me in the "Buzz Aldrin & the Space Renaissance Initiative" article, and for the first time in a while I've had the time to really hash out a good rant on this. Yes, I touched on this in my "The Image of Space" article, but this rant is more raw and in your face. :) So, here's the question...

"What sort of public advertising does he (Douglas) think will be central for the interest of space tourism [NSA?], I guess there is a lot of business development opportunities for large companies, but, a unit quota for this era could potentially tell the stories of how much money really is available sitting around the place..."

My answer...

To be honest, Abercrombie physiques, tits and ass. Space needs to be sexy. It needs to be sexed up. The only image of real space people have is geeks in lab coats and suits in Mission Control. It's time to make the Moon seem like Jamaica, a sporting event, a wild time, etc.

Look, we all know beer doesn't really equal hot chicks with you in a hot tub, but that's exactly the image they sell, so why the hell doesn't the space movement adopt the same vision?! Purists suck, because all they will say is that you're demeaning the scientific and engineering integrity of space by "selling out" to main stream advertising techniques, but those same dumb asses are the ones wondering why space isn't more popular and how they can make it an economically strong, viable commercial industry.

You can't have it both ways. To the average person, the one you're SELLING space too, space is not on the front of their mind because it's not as appealing to them. For them, space is either sci-fi, only for the scientists and engineers, or a combo of both. Time to wake up and start selling space the way we sell everything else, by appealing to the human nature side of adventure, excitement, sexuality and fun. Period.

5 comments:

Norman Copeland said...

Yes, I do beleive that it is possible to be a geek and romantic, it's just that the problem might actually be getting them to the romantic part...

Yes I am the professionals professional if thats what you call a geek, no I don't like looking stupid and no I'm not trendy, If it's not practical and doesn't 'do anything' I'm not really interested. So what's wrong with that?


Hey, I was in Mauritius with one of the most beautiful women in the world and certainly one of sexiest? We had just had dinner at a really romantic restuarant next to a lake, so, we're in the cab driving home from the meal and 'I thought' ''here it is, one of the most romantic nights of my life, everthing is perfect [I'm having proposal thoughts] So, I say, cab driver, stop the cab, my girlfriend says what you doing? I said come and look at the stars [I was bursting with pride I just needed the stars approval...]

continued]

Norman Copeland said...

So, I thought lets make love under stars then I'll tell her I'm going to be astronaught some day, when she says yes I'll wait at home while you do what you need to do I'll ask her to marry me... well at home she was quicker than me to the television remote control to switch the station to star trek everytime it was on, so this womans perfect right?

The cab driver stops the cab and guess what?

My girlfriend says no she doesn't want to look at the stars let's just go home.

Well you guessed it of course. Why would someone like me marry a woman who can't stop for a moment and look at the stars?

And that my friend is exactly why I need to say that many people will want to fly into low earth orbit [LEO] and further just to see the stars and many people will have the money to do it, privatly on a x-37b or a larger x-43a...


Continued]...

Norman Copeland said...

But, who will build the runways for the spaceships and why will we visit places that haven't got anything to look at except the stars?

You see, I'm not a geek, I just know that if it isn't ''handbags at dawn, then ''you're going to be the yawn''...

So, why are star's exciting because it will be a very very long time before many people who have ambitions of going into space actually realise their ambition.

We have been talking infrastructure building for off planet bases, but, realistically it will be industrial because it obviously isn't the romantic's or the geeks that have got the money to do it for the love of it, and what type of person is that?

I'm not sure, but, geeks? Who...

Douglas Mallette said...

For me, infrastructure = industry. We need to sexy it up to get investors who will do more with space than just mine things and look at stars, this for sure.

Norman Copeland said...

I was talking at my friends lunar telescope blog thursday and, I posted this...


I was thinking that a lunar planetarium would be an excellent start to building a base on the moon. With NASA's new surface to low earth orbit [LEO] plane the x-37b we could probably start paying its cost straight away with the number of people who would like to visit {as paying customers}...



X-37b [spacecraft}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:X-37_spacecraft,_artist%27s_rendition.jpeg