Monday, June 22, 2009

Off to the Publisher We Go

Saturday I sent off the manuscript of my book to the only publisher I could find that accepted unsolicited manuscripts for space based topics. Most of the unsolicited places I found seemed to only be interested in fiction work.

Note: I feel a conspiracy between the major publishers of the world and these blasted Publishing Agents. lol. Why should I be forced to hire someone to peddle MY work?! Either you like the book or you don't, and if you're a big enough publishing house, then you should be able to afford enough proof readers to go through what you receive in the mail. To me this is a backhanded form of extortion, forcing you to spend money on someone else just so they can get your foot in the door. Bogus.

Nevertheless, I hope the company I sent it to likes what I've written, because I find it to be very topical and important, as do several others that I've had proof the book, from family to friends to colleagues to secondary associates that don't know me that well. A lot of perspective helps. And since I have a connection or two at Fox News, I'm hoping to use that venue to promote the book when it's published. Hooray space awareness!!! :)

7 comments:

Thomas Fledrich said...

So Douglas, you work for the Shuttle program, are making a Star Wars fan movie, have a family life AND still have enough time left to write a book. Let me guess, you have cloned yourself a couple of times :-)

But seriously, what is the book about? I hope you will get it published without much trouble. Have you thought about having it printed by some small publisher and selling it on ebay, too?

Douglas Mallette said...

Not to mention doing this blog and that I've started my Graduate studies for Astrophysics too. lol. Not cloned, but which I could. :)

The book is about how space can solve issues with the economy, employment, returning America into a nation of producers and not just consumers, human expansion, asteroid awareness, and much more. It covers a lot. :)

http://rachelkovacs.wordpress.com said...

That's great. Congratulations. I wish more people had motivation like you!

Douglas Mallette said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

However brilliant you might be, young man, try showing more respect towards those who do not share your knowledge and/or enthusiasm.

Douglas Mallette said...

Anonymous - I'm not exactly sure where this comment comes from. Nevertheless, respect is earned, not just blindly given. If people wish to debate me intellectually, I'm all in favor of that, but those who wish to debate with insults, rude comments, and pointless childish antics don't deserve cordiality. They eliminated that option the moment they disrespected me. :)

Anonymous said...

Even in adversity, the better individuals keep on the lookout for reasons to respect one another.