Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Potpourri

So Much Dust...Space Allergies?

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/090407-m33-galaxy.html

Okay, so not exactly space allergies, but NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope did find a boat load of dust in a nearby Galaxy. The only way they could see it was via infrared because it was "cold" dust that didn't reflect any light from it's surrounding sources...stars. What I'd like to know, and what this article didn't cover, is how much dust there was and could it affect the various measurements of the galaxy? In other words, is the enough "invisible dust" here to put a chink in the armor of Dark Matter? Just something to ponder.
____________________________________________

Colbert, AKA Node 3

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/090407-astronauts-colbert-node.html

Well, this is dragging on forever, but it's kinda fun. I mean come on NASA, you left the door WIDE open for this to happen. You should be pleased that people are even talking about you, since you apparently don't know how to develop and maintain a decent enough PR campaign on your own anyway.

Look, the fact that Steven Colbert even caused this to happen is interesting enough and he should be entitled to his spoils. He won! Yes, you reserve the right to name Node 3 whatever you want even after the voting was in, but common sense dictates that you put that rule there so people wouldn't try to call the Node "Shithead", "Jackass", or "Madonna".

You desperately need the positive PR since Ares is so over budget and already behind schedule, and even some Congressional officials think Colbert is the rightful winner. Look, the ISS is only going to be up there for what...another 15 or 20 years? It's not like you're naming a Moon base after the guy.

I wonder if Minnesota is running your voting scheme?
____________________________________________

The Cosmic Hand of God?

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/090404-chandra-nebula.html

Of course not! Yet this didn't stop people from going off on a religious banter in the thread related to this article. In fact, someone told me that I should believe in God. Well there goes my religious freedom to not be religious. lol. It's kinda funny when I tell people I'm an Atheist, as if they think I should be out pillaging, plundering and being a general jackass. Well, I am a jackass, but only mildly so. :) So, here's what I wrote back...

I should believe in God? No, I shouldn't, I don't want too, and I'm not. I don't need some mythical creature or ancient book of fabled stories to guide my moral compass. Life is a very simple process (eat, sleep, drink, breathe, survive) and how one conducts themselves is even more simple. Make strong efforts to be good, do good and try to improve the lives of others around you. I don't need religion or God for that lesson, it's common sense and decency.

To me, God is construct to make people feel good about themselves in spite of a difficult and relatively insignificant existence. Kind of a bummer when you think about it, but for most people God makes it all better knowing that some grand being has future plans for you...or so you hope. But hey, at least it makes you content and happy. That's great.

I, however, understand completely that I will be around probably less than 100 years relative to the billions of years that the universe is old. Not even 1/4 of the blink of an eye, and I'm okay with that. I don't need to know the answers to questions I cannot possible prove in the first place.

I don't know what will happen when I die and I really don't care. I can't prove anything after life anyway, no one can. It's all conjecture, circumstantial evidence and hope driven faith in something better. None of that is tangible or provable. I don't know why we're here, or the meaning of life (other than Monty Python's version). I'm content with that.

Maybe the purpose of life is to not worry so much about the purpose of life...and just live it!

And of course this wasn't good enough for some people and so I wrapped up with this...

My final word on this, and it references a very interesting movie called Zeitgeist, which can be found here...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-594683847743189197

From time code 10:30:00 to 40:20:00 is all about religion and how the constructs of Christianity parallel, and are in most cases directly in line with many other religions from all around the world and at different times in history. All the stories are the same, and all are mythology. If you have an ounce of open mindedness you can watch this, even if you are religious, and see the parallels right before you.

I do not begrudge religion, but I do begrudge those who think all should be religious, or seek to find religion in all places, such as this neat, but completely secular cloud of dust and gas.

8 comments:

+he WYZ^RD projec+ said...

I guess it all depends on how you define 'God'.

I don't use the word 'God' in the context of ancient religion except mockingly. I do however use the word/concept of 'God' to represent infinite/ultimate knowledge of things far beyond our mind's ability to comprehend.

I consider science to be the pursuit of understanding 'God'. Try out my theory, it works on everything, even from a rocket scientist's perspective, and even encompasses things like your mysterious invisible space dust.

For the record, I highly doubt man's accurate perception of the universe, because it relies on the measurement of light/energy waves that we can't prove we completely understand yet. Some, yes. Everything? Not a chance in hell. It could still just be one huge 3D game of Second Life, and no one can prove otherwise. That's the comedy of it.

:)

To know the whereabouts of every quark of every atom of every molecule and to know how each one is reacting with anything else at any give 'frame' of time is to be 'God', and the only way man can even mimic such an environment is via digital technology that will obviously never achieve the perceivable resolution of life itself.

I think it would be safe to say that 'God' is responsible for 'life' for the purposes of my future comical pseudo-science religion, but the nonsense from the Bible, Koran, etc. is obviously (poorly) constructed man-made nonsense. It's an ancient mind-control mechanism. It does scare me that people can be so...ummm...gullible as to believe such things literally, since even as a child being brainwashed at church I thought "WTF is this nonsense they are trying to indoctrinate me with?...they can't be serious?". It is a disturbing litmus test of our society that people will believe fairytales literally, and go around looking down at other people for it. Even Ann Coulter wears a cross, a complete contradiction of intelligence.

Even worse, when the system is based on lies, it leaves the door WIDE open for relatively evil hypocrites. Example A: A girl I used to know who is/was literally a whore but has stated on her profile front and center that she is Christian/Catholic. The human lies are what I take issue with, my science God is perfectly cool though because he represents nothing but the truth, knowledge, and logic in trying to discover how this stupid spinning rock system works.

That is all for now.

Jerry M. Weikle said...

http://asymptotia.com/wp-images/2006/11/carina_hst.jpg

People will see what they want to see and will believe what they want too.

1. It is Superman flying throught the universe with Jane holding on for dear life. 8-)

2. It is Christ embraced by his "Bride" as his ex-lover is clinging as a "tweenis to his feet". (humm...)

3. It is the hand of Satan, in defiance of God. :-(

4. It is a "Sign From Heaven", All Glory to the Ori! smirk. ;-)

5. It is a gas nebula that is in the process of decay as the elements are being radiated by high energy and gravitional forces of nearby stars in a region that is slowly clearing of dust particles. (My favorite).

Very Interesting image, it would seem to further support the idea that space is composed of 'filiments' or areas that are highly concentrated with particulate matter that flows to other areas.

It is almost a galactic verson of "the Gulf Stream" with the energized electrons flowing. I wonder if there are small eddies or vortexes along the sides of those streams? I wonder, too, if this image sheds light upon "dark matter"...which might exist in the spaces between the finger-like projections or filiments of a knotted space?

E n trophy said...

Hey this comment should actually go with the above article, but there is no extra space in there to leave a comment. This will be short and SWEET on the first comment, but why not stick with the KISS PHILOSOPHY of (Keep it Simple and Stupid). I Know its the whole space thing and everything, but have we really ran out of letters, colors,Greek symbols, numbers and combiNation's. I mean why not name something and give a dimension with the color, letter and etc...just a thought, but who am I? A possible name may be tripod or the Treo. Yes I know I have a lot of ideas that revolve around tech, but hey sometimes the best ideas come from your own environment.

Norman Copeland said...

Douglas Mallette comment,

''I, however, understand completely that I will be around probably less than 100 years relative to the billions of years that the universe is old. Not even 1/4 of the blink of an eye, and I'm okay with that. I don't need to know the answers to questions I cannot possible prove in the first place.....


That is a really interesting comment for an operative of science.


Douglas Mallette comment,

I don't know what will happen when I die and I really don't care. I can't prove anything after life anyway, no one can. It's all conjecture, circumstantial evidence and hope driven faith in something better. None of that is tangible or provable. I don't know why we're here, or the meaning of life (other than Monty Python's version). I'm content with that.



The ancient practice of necromancy is the discipline of communicating with the dead, it is provable that some sort of paranormal phenomena occurs when characters of particular knowledge and ability attempt to 'channel' communication paths.

I can confirm that you Douglas Mallette are a very welcome person to be personally explained among my own private explanitory confession.

The reasons that kinetic energy is transferable, recognisable and a really common standard of acknowledged genuine integrity, is because most people have knowledge of objects that have moved because of electricity, probably 99.99999999% percent of surface dwelling humans, acknowledge these facts as it itself is regulated with electrical impulses registering for communicative perception.

Why does thunder strike?

Why do we click each other sometimes with static?

Why are we attracted to certain people more than others?

You see, some say, life is what you make it, some say its what you can make out of it, and some say its what you can make of it.


Douglas Mallette comment,

I do not begrudge religion, but I do begrudge those who think all should be religious, or seek to find religion in all places



I totally agree, but, those who do not want to seek should not hinder those who do and that is probably a bigger sin, especially if you are of scientific disposition, others may argue that those who do not want to explore, seek of philosophise or expand upon the situation may themselves be orbiting towards another reality, perhaps more like a 'content reptile'...

Jerry M. Weikle said...

Gentlemen, can we atleast have a Hennessy with this philosophical estoric discussion.

Norman, my frind, your of the thinking and belief of past lives and reincarnation, stages of a Bodisatpha progression towards enlightment. You too, have met a few.

Douglas, it is your right to have your belief or abscents thereof. All the woo-woo-who-who sprinking holywater siping wing-ohs holier-than thou on Sundays and whoring monday to saturday and 'church lady' facial giggles. Would seem like Heaven is running amok with hypocrats and the Devil is enjoy solitude and peace and quiet.

Science, or the various science fields allows individuals to ask questions and make discoveries. Even the Pope and the Vatican are not opposed to Evolution or the ideas of Charles Darwin.

Yet, my friends, people are often angred and upset when confronted with concepts and ideas that they do not want to hear. So, if they want to believe in their faire tales and believe it 100 percent then are they not stuck mentally. In all things they are going to see God....too bad it isn't Zeus...or running jauguar...or forest walking-stick. All and all, humans are more attached to their own Earth Centeredness, than the Universe that the proclaim to be a part of.

Maybe, that is exactly what fears humanity about colonizing and terraforming Mars. It would challenge not only humanity into different ways of thinking. But it would challenge the belief systems of humanity upon the pathway of Godhood.

Well, Gentlemen...do we have any finger painting activities? We can put our hands upon the walls and rocks of Plato's cave, and then step back and look at our handprints and those written squigglies upon the shadowed walls. We have been thus, doing, for thousands of years.

Estoric babbling between Gents! Cheers! Peace!

Jerry M. Weikle said...

Reality, is a state-of-mind percieved by the holder of keys to thoughts and ideas. Shadows upon the walls, wherein humanity has yet to venture forth to see the light of day.

Thousands of years of entanglements is our history, and in all probability several thousands year hence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2009/mar/17/templeton-quantum-entanglement

Cheers. Maybe, humanity drank from the springs of the Ma'at? Humm...who knows?

+he WYZ^RD projec+ said...

(insert Hennessy) lol

:)

Jerry M. Weikle said...

Hello, chuckling, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you until now. Squire, who might you be? Atleast, you need a hearty Ale. Hast thou traveled far and wide? Are you a journ upon Canterbury as well?

:)