Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Musical Homage to Spirit and Opportunity

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/090414-spirit-reboot.html

Because of a discussion on space.com, and a witty one liner by a regular commenter based on this song, I decided to make the whole thing. :) Why not? Hope you like it.

'Little Rover Bot Guys'

Adaptation of 'American Pie' by Don McLean

Not so long ago...
I can still remember
How those rovers used to make me smile.
And I knew if they had the chance
They'd find some life and do a dance
And maybe, we'd be happy for a while.

But 2009 made me shiver
With every glitch that they'd deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
They couldn't take one more step.

I can't remember when they fried
But I know those little rovers tried,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the rovers died.

So bye-bye, little rover bot guys.
You did so much good for science,
But by now you're all fried.
And your big old brother will soon be there by your side
Sayin, "This is where my little bro's died."
"This is where my little bro's died."

Do you see the planets above,
And do you wonder what they are made of?
If curiosity makes it so.
And do you wish that you could go there,
Stand on the soils of way out where,
Where there is an unworldly glow?

Well I know that we can't do that yet
But I've got a secondary bet.
We'll send something else in place.
To the far vast reaches of space.

They are small and slow, but very cool
And able to do great science too,
But all good things must end, that's true
The day the rovers died.

So now we're sayin, Bye-bye, little rover bot guys.
You did so much good for science,
But by now you're all fried.
And your big old brother will soon be there by your side
Sayin, "This is where my little bro's died."
"This is where my little bro's died."

Now for five years they've been on their own
Diggin' up dirt anda' grinding stone,
And that's how it's supposed to be.
But then they found some funny elements,
And all the scientists were quite perplexed
In a state of mental curiosity.

Oh, and while the rovers drove around,
Wheels locked and power down,
They kept on plugging along;
As we sang their victory song.
And while Spirit drove out around Home Plate,
And Opportunity chugged away,
We knew that we would rue the day,
The day the rovers died.

So now we're sayin, Bye-bye, little rover bot guys.
You did so much good for science,
But by now you're all fried.
And your big old brother will soon be there by your side
Sayin, "This is where my little bro's died."
"This is where my little bro's died."

Helter Skelter, with no shelter.
The Martian winter makes it welter,
Minus a hundred and falling fast.
They woke up strong many times in the past.
And we wondered how long they would last,
With their solar panels effectively in a cast.

Now we hoped that they would both resume
While the MSL was being tuned.
We all held our breath to see,
Oh, but it just wasn't meant to be!
`cause the rovers fate was sharply sealed;
The Martian weather refused to yield.
Do you recall all that they revealed
The day the rovers died?

And so we're sayin, Bye-bye, little rover bot guys.
You did so much good for science,
But by now you're all fried.
And your big old brother will soon be there by your side
Sayin, "This is where my little bro's died."
"This is where my little bro's died."

Oh, and there we were all in one place,
A generation fixed on space
With no ability to start again.
So come on: MSL, you do the trick!
Bring the answers fast and quick
Cause answers are a scientists only friend.

Oh, and as I watch them add delays
My hands are clenched in fists of rage.
No mission born in there
Could break that overrun spell.
And as the warriors drifted off into the night
Succumbing to their sacrificial rite,
I saw Mars laughing with delight
The day the rovers died

He was singin, Bye-bye, little rover bot guys.
You did so much good for science,
But by now you're all fried.
And your big old brother will soon be there by your side
Sayin, "This is where my little bro's died."
"This is where my little bro's died."

I saw engineers who sang the blues
And I asked them for some happy news,
But they just sighed and turned away.
I then went out to my back yard
Where I'd see them working if I thought real hard,
But the visions in my head, they wouldn't stay.

And on the surface the dust did blow,
The lights were off, no life to show.
And not a word was spoken;
The data streams all were broken.
And the three things I admire most:
Spirit, Opportunity, and their human hosts,
They all moved on, well, almost
The day the rovers died.

And they were singin, Bye-bye, little rover bot guys.
You did so much good for science,
But right now you're all fried.
And your big old brother will soon be there by your side
Sayin, "This is where my little bro's died."
"This is where my little bro's died."

They were singin, Bye-bye, little rover bot guys.
You did so much good for science,
But right now you're all fried.
And your big old brother will soon be there by your side
Sayin, "This is where my little bro's died."

6 comments:

mike fabio said...

Where's the MP3!?

Jerry M. Weikle said...

Yeah, Douglas, where is the MP3! Good one!

Karen Shea said...

That must have been a lot of work.

American Pie is on eof my favorite songs.

Mind if I post the lyrics on the Space Movement space music page?

Douglas Mallette said...

Karen - Go right ahead! :) Actually, it only took about an hour, and that was between working and doing it. lol. It was fun, and I think it turned out well.

As far as an audio version...you all don't want me singing. lol.

Norman Copeland said...

Ok, I thought you might of wanted to do a rendition of one of my favourite rap songs 'the CERN RAP', you''ll get the video and song on youtube.com...

Chairman Mal said...

Howdy Space Comrades!
This is an amusing, yet moving ditty, Douglas! I would do the MP3, but my singing sounds like a dieing calf in a hailstorm.
Regards,
Chairman Mal
Power to the Peeps!