Thursday, March 12, 2009

Star Wars Meets Real Life

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/090311-tw-space-plane.html

Apparently England is stepping up to the plate and looking at alternative, more futuristic approaches to space travel. Actually, I hate the word futuristic. The future is NOW, and we should already be flying spaceships to LEO and the moon with regularity. Anyway, I digress.

Okay, so it looks like a cross between the Naboo H-Type Nubian and their N-1 Starfighter, but I think this is awesome and I truly hope it works. Steps like these are what will propel us to the next level of space exploration and transport. Whether or not this works is of medium importance to me. What matters is that people are trying, but I do hope it works.

I don't know why this hasn't been worked on before either. Maybe it's because there was a lack of funding. In fact, that's probably exactly the reason. You have to admit, people (governments) don't like funding projects if they don't see instant merit in them, or political advantage. I bet the typical reply to this option was, "We already have rockets. We don't need this stuff." You know, forward thinking political schmucks. lol.

However, it is being worked now. Better late than never.

1 comment:

Norman Copeland said...

Well, I didn't want to comment intitially because I was waiting for perhaps someone more educated than I am to suggest problem solving solutions.

Really it is obvious that the next generation of space vehicles must have some sort of atomic sensitivity propulsion.

I envisage an engine which is functioning on a molecular language translatative sensitivity system. I believe that a vessel composed of material which is capable of defining its immediate environment will be capable of sending signals quick enough to react with the outer shell to perform quantum valencing procedures for activating streamline aeronautics used for slowing and speeding vessels according to the region of space which it is enhabiting.

As metals become hotter they transmit signals to elements which have the ability to divulge information and act according to it. I beleive this is the technology which we should be researching to solve the problem of entering planet and moon innner atmospheres and not worrying about the escape velocities of their atmospheres heatburn.

Thus, warp technology will inevitably be possible with this sort of intellectual profile and approach to modern technology and its direction.

Thats my 5 pence worth.