Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Almighty and Space Science

I find it very interesting that religion comes up frequently in the space.com article forums I participate in. Granted, most of the time it's Trolls stirring up the pot for their own personal amusement, but in some cases the argument is valid based on the topic.

Example: Every time an article comes up with respect to the origin of the universe, typically a Big Bang theory article, someone pops off that God is the answer and that we should either give up the search or accept our ignorance and just move on to other things. Of course, I have a huge issue with this.

First, I don't believe in God, so that argument is hogwash. I can hear the gasps now. The funny thing is, my lack of belief doesn't make me a bad person. Just ask the people that know me. I'm quite personable, fun loving and fun to be around. My lack of belief in an established God or religion does not affect my moral compass. I know the difference between right and wrong, good and evil, just and unjust. But for some, the notion of no God is internally destructive, so their belief grounds them to morality. This is the awesomeness of tolerance and acceptance, for I can totally understand that and I have no issues there. Just don't force your God on me.

With that said, the notion that God would create this grand universe and then NOT want us to explore and learn it is ridiculous. One would think, logically, that if God was pulling the strings and He wanted us to stay put, he would have directly prevented us from becoming the inquisitive, intelligent, problem solving kind of species we are. The best way to keep a species from getting too far away from the nest is to keep them too stupid and limited to do anything about it. Humans are not limited that way.

We are a curious bunch. We thrive on discovery, enlightenment and mental advancement. We yearn to learn. These are facts, not opinions, so it's built into our DNA that we strive to learn these complex universal lessons. We'll settle the moon because we must. We'll settle Mars because we must. We'll learn the secrets of the universe because we must. Anything less is devolution, and I for one don't feel like reverting back to an amoeba.

1 comment:

Jeff Cunningham said...

Doug, I truly wish more atheists and agnostics were like you. I miss you, man.

As a man of faith, I whole-heartedly agree with you that spreading out into new frontiers is a fundamental part of the purpose of life and existence itself. I would go a step further and say that "exploration" isn't enough.

"Exporation" is going there, looking around, and then coming right back. Around here, that's called "shopping". It doesn't get anything done, and it certainly doesn't change the course of human history. I'll spare you my theological reasoning, for now let's just say that I'd say our objective in going should not be to "explore", but to BUILD, to till the earth of non-Earths, to create beautiful gardens on worlds now barren, give them to our children, and become Creators and Gods in our own right. I can't think of a nobler cause than that.